To preface this post, I just want to go ahead and say it.. and say it LOUD for the people in the back- GET YOUR FLU SHOT! Trust me, as a past sufferer of a severe flu many times in my life, I have finally realized that if I get myself together soon enough, I can prevent this terrible, terrible, sickness by just getting a flu shot when fall time comes around.
But- I understand. Life happens, circumstances are different for everyone. And if by some unfortunate turn of events, you do come down with the flu, a sinus infection, or a cold, I have just the teas for you.
Think of me as your tea guru in your days of need. Times of stuffy noses, sore throats, and deep dark coughs that simply WONT go away. Been there, done that. Probably will again.
Personally, my least favorite part about any sickness is sore throats. They are so awful, and so unwanted. I can always tell I'm getting sick by the way my throat starts to change... anyone else? It's like "hmmm something's not quite right here."
Which brings me to our first symptom-
1. Sore Throats
- Repeat after me: LEMON. Lemon is your best friend when your throat isn't. Lemon is great because it possesses antibacterial and antiseptic properties that help kill off infection- specifically in your throat.
It also helps that lemons are very high in Vitamin C!
- Honey is another great source of relief for a sore throat. It is smooth and silky on your throat, and also has anti-inflammatory properties. It also has other great qualities such as antimicrobial, antiviral, and antioxidant ! Yay honey!
- Ginger. Ginger has great anti-inflammatory properties to help get rid of annoying coughs. It also smells and tastes amazing.
- Honey again! Honey will work wonders for you when you are sick.
- Peppermint. The mint will soothe your throat, and reduce the scratchiness. Just like a lozenge or a cough drop.
3. Falling Asleep
- Chamomile. No surprise on that one. Chamomile is a staple in sleep remedies. A cup of chamomile before bed will soothe you into sweet dreams.
- Valerian Root. Try mixing with something sweet, like rose petals or honey!
- Lavender. Florally, sweet, delicious, and beautiful lavender.